Thursday, August 21, 2008

Breakfast of Presbyterians

There are a lot of things I could say about food, drink, and other consumable items; and knowing my own penchant for voicing my opinion, I probably will say more at some point. For now though, I'm too busy heaving a well-stuffed sigh of fulfillment because of this:

Ah, the omelet. What an amazing invention! One of the penultimate examples of "The whole is more than the sum of the parts"! After all, sautéed mushrooms, fresh ground black pepper, three kinds of cheese, ham, crisp bacon, and a few red pepper flakes could each be quite enjoyable on their own; but some kind of Divine magic takes place when you fold them all into a fluffy blanket of scrambled eggs! Spicy, savory, sumptuous, and satisfying.

I'm reminded of a symphony.

Think of the omelet as the brass section; complimented by the rousing rhythm of spicy-crispy fried breakfast potatoes (percussion), a cooling draft of milk (the strings), and a steaming cup of aromatic black coffee (the resonant woodwinds). All of these brought into harmonic synergy by your humble maestro -- taking manly dominion in the kitchen.

I'd cry "Encore!" ...but I'm too full.

7 comments:

mommyofmany said...

Yummy! Your breakfast looks more appealing than mine. I had instant oatmeal. I really do wish I were able to tolerate eggs. I would then have many more options for the first meal of the day. (sniff. sniff.) Thanks for sharing your poetic breakfast. Now I must find something for lunch! Your post has made me hungry!

Stephen said...

Shiny!
But....but...what about haggis?!?!?

I really heard the "black coffee" part!

Hannah said...

Hey Daniel,

I did a post last night and would really like to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks!

Daniel said...

Stephen: I've never had haggis before, but would love to give it a try! Do you have a good recipe? Um... and perhaps a recommendation on where to purchase a good sheep's stomach?

Daniel said...

Hannah: Thanks for letting me know about your new post! I submitted a comment a few minutes ago, and would love to hear your thoughts on my thoughts on your thoughts.

Bradley said...

Ah, omelets...

I love eating a rich breakfast in the morning; it gives you a wonderful feeling of fullness that energizes you until it's time... to eat again! =)

Stephen said...

Haggis....hmmmm....must confess, I've only had it at the local Burn's Night celebrations. But in the US, because of the "Geat White Father", we are forbidden from eating actual sheep entrails. :( So we are technically not eating the real thing.

Just a heads up:

Always eat it after the main meal because it is sooo filling and you won't feel like eating anything else